Thursday, July 22, 2010

Low flying Pianos

From Jo Flynn


According to a number of my friends and colleagues there are celestial stirrings afoot. Apparently July and potentially quite a bit of August have favourable conditions for not leaving the house in case a piano falls on one’s head from a very great height.

I must admit my learning curve has been ridiculously steep for most of this month and I have found myself grasping at any indication that things might improve. And then I came across this particularly gorgeous offering by a poet I have come to love.


The Well of Grief

Those who will not slip beneath
the still surface of the well of grief
turning downward through its black water
to the place we cannot breathe
will never know the source from which we drink,
the secret water,
cold and clear,
nor find in the darkness glimmering 

the small round coins 

thrown away by those who wished for something else. 


By David Whyte
from Close to Home


And of course….I am now noticing the small round coins. Noticing that I would not choose to miss this adventure. Even if it occasionally feels like drowning….

For all of us who are swimming downward – may we soon be refreshed by that secret water, cold and clear. I shall be drinking mine from a champagne glass in recognition of the bravery and fortitude it required to persevere.

I just hope the piano doesn’t get me first…

1 comment:

  1. I love David Whyte and that poem is just so reassuring that we have to take that journey downward and that the reward are many. Thanks Jo.

    ReplyDelete